Alan Flyng

Alan Flyng
TWO ROLES - TWO FILMS - ONE EMPIRE!!!!! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Star Wars Fan Days 8 & 9 October, Irving Conference Center

 

After an impossibly early start Friday morning to get to Heathrow at an early hour, a 10 hour flight to Dallas and then a **** hour bar crawl in the excellent company of Zach Taylor McGinnis and friends, I was finally there - bright-eyed (well, slightly red actually, LOL) and bushy-tailed, at my table in the Irving Conference Center. I had been placed between Dicky Beer on my left and Jon Berg on my right. We were ranged along a long back wall of the center with exhibitors in row after row of trader alleys in front of us. I have actually jumped ahead, so let's get back to Friday, the travel day...

Actually, Friday was a hoot! Zach took me home to meet the significant other in his life - his Star Wars collection, or at least a very small part of it! Boy, is he a serious collector!!! Truly amazing things! Then out for a Tex-Mex meal, which I could unfortunately not get past more than a couple of mouthfuls, as it was so sweet and rich! I know, I look like I eat horses whole, but I honestly do not eat that much - it's the way I am built (some say like a brick s**t house - fair comment!). And then off to visit a couple of bars. That was fun!!! I loved the cowboy bar with the two-step dance floor heaving with all types of dancers and in all sorts of styles! And above all else, fantastically friendly and funny people. Who says Americans don't get irony? Come to Dallas!!!

Under the afternoon sun, just short of 92 F.

Zach, in yellow, with two friends and me at the cowboy bar.
Everyone was really lovely and I was quite taken with the two-step dancing to be seen on the dance floor! Some of those guys can dance!!! I was equally taken by the cheerleaders dispensing favours and lending their friendly selves to being photographed with me! Not a sight you see that often in London! LOL
It's a hard life but someone has to do it! :D

Next day, after waking early, I poured out of bed and into the shower, convinced the heat of the previous day had dispersed. Silly me! I forgot I left the air con on - how British! :). I was awfuly glad I had remembered to pack some Yorkshire Tea!!! The temperature was again in the top 80's outside and as I stepped out and took a deep breath I realised there were spots of rain. But no time to enjoy, as it was time to go to the Irving Conference Center - the venue for this year's event - and get set up. Our lovely drivers took us in hand and pointed us to the badge desk and there, ranged to it's right lay the Official Pix prints for the show, all laid out. Having received my badge and been shown my table position on a floor plan, I hauled myself and case into the hall. Row after row after row of traders, merchandisers and exhibitors lay between me and my table, but I found it straight away and met my first of four helpers, who were to take monies and generally look after me over the two days. I was treated with such friendliness and courtesy that I have to say I am extremely impressed with the hospitable nature of all I encountered! Certainly I was at ease in no time. Once I had arranged the table the way I liked and positioned my solar-powered Queen Elizabeth in the centre with her Stormtrooper helmet on her fist and waving at the visitors, I felt ready for all-comers.

The day kicked off with the VIP passes and I started with a queue. Although there was a major American Football game on that day; the Texas State Fair over that weekend and an important baseball game on as well, the turnout was good. I introduced myself to all and sundry, who made me feel very welcome and the best of all happened! Lots of my Facebook friends came along to say hi and chat. I was in my element and was grinning from ear to ear when Ben Stevens came over to introduce himself and say hi.

Picture courtesy of Walter Phenix Crowley Jr.


I know he looks like a younger version of me, but this is Bill Horn - one of the many Facebook friends with whom I have been corresponding for ages - at our first face to face meeting. What a nice guy!
As the day progressed, so the time difference started to catch up with me. But along came Zach from the day before and, like a whirling dervish, he was off into the melee capturing signatures on his wants-list and buzzing back and forth with tireless energy. It fair knackered me watching him go!!! Amongst those who came to say hi and to trade badges was Mr. Steve Sansweet. He started by saying my name and went to introduce himself, but I butted in and said there was no need for the famous Mr Sansweet to introduce himself! You know, he is such a genuinely nice guy! He blushed, shook my hand and then went through everything on my table like the true fan of Star Wars that he is. It was only as he was leaving that I summoned up the nerve to ask if I might have a photo with him! :)

Mr. Steve Sansweet and me.

I wish I could show you loads and loads of photos I took, but I had no time - truthfully! Day one was pretty intense, though not too much, and I managed to just see costumers pass by and the occasional Facebook friend would surprise me. One of those I had looked forward to meeting was a young lady names Christy. She and I had been correspondents for a few years and I found her a genuine and sweet person on Facebook. During that day, she came back whenever she could and we caught up as though we had been old friends in the neighbourhood all that time. So nice to know that some people are just what they seem!!!

Christy and me (Photo courtesy of Christy)

Another great surprise was the appearance of the talented Mr Joe Mignano - otherwise known better to other Star Wars fans as Darth Bruticus of The Dark Empire! He was in the company of another Facebook friend, Ashley M. Kalfas and Derek Brown, who had come to say hello to their Honorary Member and to present me with the first printed trading cards of the organisation! I was so surprised and delighted! What a lovely present to be surprised with! Joe made sure that the whole thing was photographed for the website and a sound record for the Podcast, which can be heard here.

Joe, Ashley, Derek and me - proud members of The Dark Empire/

Amongst the many humorous costumes I spotted was a very funny Death Star officer - wearing a cap on his head and a Death Star as a costume. But the one that had me laughing uncontrollably was the unforgettable Chef Vader below...


That first evening, Zach had made a booking for a group of us to go eat together. Veronica Segura, Dickey Beer, Peter and Angie Mayhew and a few of Zach's friends went to a lovely restaurant where I finally sampled the most delicious steak I think I have eaten since South Africa! Conversation revolved around memories of filming, as one would expect, but also covered conventions, representation and all sorts... We had a thoroughly good evening together and must, once again, thank Zach for his time and generosity.



Day two, on breakfast TV, I caught sight of the intensity of the rain storm of the previous day and quickly caught some of the report on camera from the HD TV in my room. They say Texans do everything large - well the rain seemed to just prove it! The convention that day kicked off slowly and was a quieter affair, but it gave everyone a chance to chat and meet more costumers from the 501st, Rebel Legion, Dark Empire, Mandalorians and just sheer wacky fantasy costumed individuals.




I ended up signing the sent-in items and pre-orders in the company of George Takei and Billy Dee Williams - a welcome respite from the floor of the convention, as we were all involved with having items thrown in front of us and had to do no more than use the right colour pens and remember our names! LOL

Billy Dee Williams and me.

I must truly say this has had to be one of the most enjoyable cons I have attended. I just honestly wish I had had a day more there to acclimatise myself, as in the event, I had to leave at close of play and travel straight to the airport for the red-eye home to England. I arrived Monday morning at Heathrow at 11 a.m with another hour's drive home from the airport car park.


I don't know if I will be invited again - I hope so, if only to meet all those great people again, who made me feel at my ease from minute one! Thanks y'all! :)))

1 comment:

  1. It was great to finally meet you in person Alan. And I promise you one thing, I will learn how to smile better for our next pic! lol

    Bill

    ReplyDelete