Alan Flyng

Alan Flyng
TWO ROLES - TWO FILMS - ONE EMPIRE!!!!! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

Sunday 1 August 2010

LFCC - London Film and Comic Con, July 2010.

I had a great time attending the London Film and Comic Con as a guest - not  least because I managed to put faces to so many Facebook friends, but also for the chance it gave me to rekindle friendships with fellow actors of decades gone by!

I was positioned by the organisers next to young Daniel Logan - a bundle of energy and exuberance and a dreadful fidget! :o) Next to him a dear friend I had not seen for twenty years - Stephanie English! Funny how we all drift apart, but on meeting again, seem to be able to pick up conversation and laughter as though it was yesterday we last met! Stephanie and I were uncontrollable in our laughter - we both have the same sense of the absurd, and there were plenty of absurd happenings in our lives to relate!

Stephanie English, myself and Dave Louis Oldbury.

Stephanie was unfortunately only booked the 17th July, but was very busy and sought after and her laughter rang out the whole day! Other friends I hadn't seen, also attending as guests included Tony Allen - a Wardrobe Supervisor in film and TV of note and a colleague and friend who also appeared as a Stormtrooper in The Empire Strikes Back. Pam Rose and Derek Lyons were visiting and found their ways to our tables and our joking drew attendees to us wondering who these idiots were! Brian and Lindsay Muir came by seeking autographs for a friend's Vader helmet sent from California and once again we ended up laughing!

I was also sat opposite Jeremy Bulloch, Dave Prowse, Julian Glover, Ken Colley and Kenny Baker. That guaranteed a very busy concourse! I was fascinated by the crowds attending and especially those who came in costume. I am always amazed by the ingenuity and resourcefulness displayed by the committed fans who grace such events with their creations!

I was absolutely delighted too to be presented with Honorary Membership of the 99th Garrison. I am a great admirer of the costume organisations formed to represent the costume legacy of the Star Wars films and to raise money and awareness of charities, mostly for children!!! Whenever I am so honored, I am humbled, as these lovely people give of their time freely, not only for such selfless work, but also because they want to speak to me, let alone honour me!

Presentation of my Honorary Membership to the 99th Garrison.
Friends from the Star Wars Madrid fan club sought me out too, as well as friends from Germany, Holland and Denmark! I had a great time indeed and when it came time on the second day to mount the podium with Dave Prowse, Ken Colley, Milton Johns and Michael Culver for a public Q & A with Darth Vader and the Imperial Officers, I was relaxed and enjoying myself. I didn't expect to be placed in the centre, but it was fun and the questions were, on the whole, mostly very interesting and sometimes challenging. The comedy highlight was at each point it came to Ken's turn to answer, the venue's tanoy sounded off, drowning him out! He took it in good humour and we all ended up laughing!


Darth Vader and the Imperial Officers: Dave Prowse, Milton Johns, myself, Michael Culver and Ken Colley.

So, a successful and highly enjoyable time was spent by all and my thanks go to Jason Joiner and his team, for their brilliant organisation and for the care shown us throughout!

No comments:

Post a Comment