Alan Flyng

Alan Flyng
TWO ROLES - TWO FILMS - ONE EMPIRE!!!!! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

Friday 6 August 2010

HOW I CAME TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS AND OTHER STRANGE HAPPENINGS

It was Derek Lyons, who had contacted me out of the blue, thanks to Facebook putting us back in touch after some 30 years, with the surprising revelation that I was sought after in the world of Star Wars conventions and autograph collectors.! He explained very patiently that my brief role in Return of the Jedi made me a bit of a rarity in 2009, in as much as the character had been listed on Wookiepedia as ‘Unidentified Imperial Officer - Executor’ and my true identity had not been established - a speaking part, however minor, who had never signed publicly - ever!!!

Derek had, in fact, previously put me in touch with a French collector and Convention organiser by the name of Aurelien Lukowski in Paris, who came over to London to meet me; get me to sign a few items and photographs he had prepared of me and then told me he had a fellow autograph collector and pre-order service provider in Belgium by the name of Mark Dermul of www.bountyhunter.be, who wanted to arrange a private signing session for me. It was all rather strange to me, but I said fine! In no time flat Mark was in touch and told me to expect two packages by special delivery - posters and books in one and photographs and action figure in the next. Pens would be provided and stickers on each item would inform me of colour pen to use, where to sign and what, if any, dedication to add. In the event, everything arrived with a further exhortation to make sure I was photographed signing items! Boy, what a palaver, I thought! But I need have had no worries - it all went off as planned!



My first signing through Mark Dermul's site, www.bountyhunter.be



Subsequently, it became obvious that if I were to continue and be active in signing for fans, I needed to emerge further and attend conventions as collectors came to know my name. Derek was a font of knowledge and very soon found the perfect venue for me to make my debut at - a small fan-organised convention in Bochum-Werne called Daedalus Con. Derek made the arrangements and before long we were nearly ready to go. I lacked one major asset, which is a major requirement of such gatherings - photos!!! I need not have worried - Derek had it firmly in hand and organised for me the procurement and payment for them also! And that is where we will go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment